Some days (ok – most days) I crave something sweet. Typically, a small bite of chocolate will do the trick to satisfy my sweet tooth. Other days, well, those times require a more decadent treat: warm, gooey, rich chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven. Even better is a skillet cookie for two baked in my favorite vintage mini cast iron skillet. This is a simple recipe that uses ingredients that you likely have in your cupboard and refrigerator right now. It is mixed by hand using only one bowl, so no need to break out the mixer. No chocolate chips? Get creative and use whatever candy, nut or chip combo you like. Don’t worry if you don’t have a mini cast iron skillet (but you really should consider it), the recipe offers pan options. This recipe is from www.crazyforcrust.com and I have made it many times when just nothing else will do.
Skillet Cookie for Two
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 8 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips or other chocolate chips or candy
- Whipped cream or ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need a 6.25” mini cast iron skillet, if you don’t have a skillet, use a 6” cake pan, 8×4” loaf pan, or make individual cookies in a muffin pan (will make about 4 muffin sized cookies). Lightly grease pan with non-stick spray, canola oil or butter.
- Melt butter in a large bowl. Stir in both sugars, then egg yolk, extract, baking soda and salt. Carefully stir in flour, then mix in the chocolate chips.
- Optional: Add 1/3 cup of ANY kind of chips, candy or nuts instead of the mini chips.
- Bake the mini cast iron skillet for about 18 – 24 minutes, or until the edges are puffed and the center no longer looks translucent. Using another baking pan will affect baking time.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, ice cream or both!
For my paleo and vegan friends: https://www.texanerin.com/perfect-paleo-chocolate-chip-cookies/ Not made in a cute skillet but still fabulous!