As I catch the vibes of fear starting to leak into society and those I love, I feel that the most important thing we can do this week is to stay positive. We have control over our minds and attitudes. Here are some practical tips.
- Stop watching the news if it causes you anxiety or stress. Look for positive articles. There is lots of good news out there.
- Voice call or video call at least one person each day. Isolation is the enemy.
- Pray. Don’t just talk about it, do it. Video call someone and pray with them.
- Treasure the moments you would probably pass by.
- Try a new recipe.
- Make a game of how you can use the food in your house until it is completely gone so that you can avoid going to the store. Challenge someone to last longer than you can.
- If you have kids at home, schedule Room Time so that everyone gets a break from each other.
- Read Philippians 4. Again.
- Ask a friend for a favorite verse and share yours.
And to the Mamas: No matter how hard you try, you can NOT duplicate what would be happening at school. Teachers are amazing people and I’m not even going to pretend I can do what they do. Extend yourself grace. Make forward progress each day. Do the best you can. Take this opportunity to do something fun that you never have time for. Hug them. Hug them again.
Keep on keepin’ on.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. – Philippians 4:4-9