Well, SUMMER is upon us!! The kids are out of school, the grills are hot and we shuffle to an array of graduation parties, birthday parties, kid’s parties, etc. If you gals haven’t noticed, I love desserts!! I have another one for you; it’s easy but impressive. It does take some planning ahead, because it is a two-day process.
A very popular dessert in Mexico, some call it the “Rainbow” Jello others “Broken Glass” Jello.
1)4 small boxes of Jell-O (3 oz); get different colors. You can get the Jell-O brand or you can try the different brands in the Mexican aisle ( I like D’Gari).
2) The Traditional way:
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
OR (My favorite way)
- 2 packets of coconut milk based Jell-O –you can usually find in it in the Mexican food aisle (see picture)
OR (The dairy-free way)
- Pineapple Jell-O. It won’t be white (like the picture), but it will still look pretty.
1)Make the four boxes of Jell-O according to the instructions on the packet. Pour into separate containers and chill overnight.
2)Once the Jell-O is solid, cut into small squares and mix them together.
IF YOU ARE MAKING IT THE TRADITIONAL WAY:
3) Boil two cups of hot water and dissolve the 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin. Let cool a bit and add the condensed milk.
IF YOU ARE DOING THE COCONUT OR PINEAPPLE
3)Make the coconut or pineapple Jell-O according to the instruction on the packet.
4)Wait until the white base is cool to the touch (but before it hardens –there is a magic point). You can use a 9×13 pan, a mold (if you own one), or if you are having a kids party, you can use small clear plastic cups. Simply pour the white mixture over the colorful Jell-o and chill overnight.
*TIP: If you want to remove the jelly from the mold, use plastic wrap under the jelly. It will make it easier for you to flip over.